Pages

Friday, April 15, 2011

Homegrown: Veggies, Herbs, and More!

It's that time of year again; SPRING! Though here in New England, the spring weather is just a tease right now, it's right around the corner. The trees are budding, the flowers are sprouting, and I have an itch to garden.

Which is strange, since I used to hate helping my mom in the garden.

Seriously though, I really have been having the itch to garden. I'm not very interested in flowers; they're pretty and all, but that's about it. So I decided (and we've talked about it so many times) to start a vegetable garden. I thought it would be pretty difficult seeing as how we live in a corporate building and there isn't much of anywhere to actually plant anything. Then I went to my parents' house and my dad showed me his garden (he's growing basil and rosemary I think. or is it Thyme..) and I knew I could do it to! (Because anyone who has been reading this blog knows that I do just about anything my parents do)

So I high tailed it to Job Lot and bought:
 
THIS AWESOME STARTER GREENHOUSE THINGY!
This was perfect for me for a number of reasons.
  1. I have nowhere to grow
  2. I have limited space indoors (seriously I have almost no counters with sun)
  3. It was cheap
Mine came with 36 little peat moss pads for $5! FIVE DOLLARS. I'm pretty sure that's cheap! (The one pictured retails at $8.99 for 25 peat pads.)


It was super easy to use. I just had to water the pads until they expanded to the point of not taking anymore water in, sowed my seeds of choice, covered with a little bit of potting soil (you can probably get something more super awesome), misted it, covered it, put it in a sunny window. BOOM. Greenhouse.


I have two. One is the 36 seeder where I have:
  • Tomatoes
  • Carrots
  • Cucumbers
  • Zucchini
  • Scallions
  • Baby Spinach
  • Green Beans
Then a 10 seeder that I have:
  • Bell peppers (A variety of colours so I have no idea)
  • Jalepeno peppers
Once these little guys reach transporting size (and I'm praying that they do), I'll be putting them in (painted of course) terra cotta pots outside. My house is conveniently built where if I go out the back, there's a section of the roof that is about waist high and gets full sunlight. :)


I will keep everyone updated on the progress of these plants and I encourage you all to make a mini garden and keep me updated! (I think this whole operation cost me all of $15)


Happy Gardening!


:: Celeste

No comments:

Post a Comment