Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Importance of eBay and Craigslist Part One: eBay

Aside from Facebook and Twitter, Craigslist and eBay are probably the most widely talked about sites on the internet. Okay, maybe that's not true. Google, Yahoo, YouTube.. well still, they're pretty popular! Unfortunately, it seems that both sites are not looked upon to kindly by the public. It's always "oh, you have to watch out on eBay." or "Be careful with Craigslist. It's sketchy." Well let me tell you something: they're right.

But we're not going to talk about why you have to be careful on eBay and why Craigslist is kind of sketch. I'm going to talk about why both sites are awesome. And, if you use your common sense properly and follow my tips and tricks, both will lead you to savings savings savings.

eBay

Hello, Hong Kong! My personal favourite thing about shopping on eBay is buying from international sellers, particularly the Chinese. I've gotten things from diapers, to dresses, to cell phone cases to corsets-- all from China. The only thing is you have to wait about a month for your package to come in, so don't buy anything you need in less than a month. It's probably not economically friendly to be buying from out of the country, but when my wallet says I can dish out $20 for a screen protector for my phone instead of $0.99 (and free shipping!), then I'll buy in the USA. Besides, with my extra $19.01 I can go to a locally owned pizza parlor instead of $5 medium any topping Dominos crap. I like to think it evens out.

Gems: I don't mean actual rhinestones. I mean the diamonds in the rough. The 'one man's trash' deal. There are things that people will put online just to get rid of, and they don't even know what they have.

Auctions vs. Buy it Now: You have to use your judgment here. I usually refine my searches to exclude auctions because I can't be bothered to wait. (I don't spend much time on eBay looking for gems) A lot of times with  auctions though, especially if it's not that popular of an item, you can save some money. I find that with the things I buy that have similar items for auction, have flipped prices. The buy it now might be $5.00 with $0.99 shipping and the auction will be $0.99 with $5 shipping, so keep your eyes peeled for those sorts of things.

eBay Stores: I tend to shop from eBay Stores as opposed to the 'individual' sellers. I feel more secure and more confident about my purchase knowing that it's not just coming from a box in someone's attic (that's where Craigslist comes in!). eBay stores will also link you to other, similar seller's stores if you don't see what you are looking for. It's a great way to do online shopping.

The Dos and Don'ts (By Celeste Leigh. To be followed at the buyers discretion)
  • Do get a PayPal account. PayPal is safe, secure, and quick. As a buyer, you will be rated by the seller. Sellers like quick payments and PayPal will go through immediately. You also do not have to give any personal information to the seller which is better for everyone.
  • Do check the seller's rating. I normally don't buy from anyone who has less than 98% positive feedback. You can click on the little number next to the % to view the feedback left by previous people this person has made a transaction with--both buyers and sellers.
  • Do real all the information provided about a product. People who sell on eBay for a living will make even the cheesiest things look super gorgeous. Double check sizing. I had the misfortune of buying (the cutest) dress because I didn't properly measure myself. When I got the dress in the mail, I ran upstairs to my room to try it on. Got it on, looked at myself in the mirror and went; "OMG I LOOK SO CUTE." turned around, and got a full shot of my panties. Needless to say I was taller than the model. 
  • Don't buy used clothing, bedding, electronics, phones, what have you. Well, you can if you want, but I personally advise against it. You can see as many photos of the item as you want, but if it isn't brand new, you never know how you are going to receive it. Unless the seller lives nearby, chances are you won't be able to look over the product before making your purchase. (Though I encourage you to sell these things. People will buy anything! Isn't that terrible?)
  • Don't forget to read about the seller's return policy. 
  • Don't buy Coach products on eBay. Or any designer for that matter. You are not getting a deal. People go to the outlets (I used to work for Coach, I know how it goes) and buy the bags/accessories SUPER CHEAP because outlets are great and then sell them for just under the MSRP, turning around and pulling a huge profit. Please, for the sake of retail employees and the frustration it causes, do not give re-sellers the victory.
I feel like I had more to say on eBay but I can't think of anything else at the moment. Like I said before, shop using your common sense and you will do fine. Beware of shipping though. Something may look like a good deal, but then the shipping is twice the price of the item! This is not uncommon.

Happy Shopping!

:: Celeste


No comments:

Post a Comment